Ok, the words underrated get thrown around a lot in reviews, especially those involving little scene films, but trust me when I say this is the ultimate in underrated, little talked about, little know films ever made. Psycho Cop Returns
This is a very basic story. In the sequel to Psycho Cop, another underrated classic, Satanic Powered Police Cop/Serial Killer Joe Vickers is back. He is sitting alone having coffee when he hears a couple guys behind him getting ready to go back to there job afterhours to throw a bachelor party for their buddy.
Vickers decides to tail these guys, and after a short stakeout in his car that is filled with remains of his victim's he sees the guys go in, and makes his move. He move being to stab the on duty security guard in the eyes with a pencil.
After disposing of a few more people Vickers shows why he no doubt passed is detective exam and begins sending out inner office faxes to different people, tricking them to go where he awaits to murder them. And boy does he. Stabbings, beatings, death from an elevator shaft, the film cranks the violence and gore off the charts, while never loosing its humor.
Think if Evil Dead was the father and Maniac Cop was the mother, this would be its offspring. A crowd pleasing over the top extravaganza of violence and humor. This is one I have always enjoyed from top to bottom. And now thanks to the folks at Vinegar Syndrome I can enjoy it on a special Edition Blu-ray.
The video and audio are outstanding, which is a norm for Vinegar Syndrome Blu-rays, and per usual you get a nice batch of special features.
• Region free Blu-ray/DVD Combo pack
• Newly scanned and restored in 2k from 35mm vault elements
• Commentary track with Director Adam Rifkin
• “Habeas Corpus” – a 43 minute documentary on the making of PSYCHO COP RETURNS, featuring brand new interviews with: Adam Rifkin (Director), Robert R. Shafer (Lead Actor), Dan Povenmire (Screenwriter), Peter Schink (Editor), Miles Dougal (Co-Star), Rod Sweitzer (Co-Star), Nick Vallelonga (Co-Star), Barbara Niven (Co-Star) and Melanie Good (Co-Star)
• “The Victims of Vickers” – featurette with SFX Artist Mike Tristano
• Cover artwork by Chris Garofalo
• Reversible cover artwork
• English SDH Subtitles
Go out and get this now, you can thank me later.
Overall 4 out of 5 Stars!