Kevin Tenny was becoming quiet the name as a horror director in the 80's. He made Witchboard, Night of the Demons, and Witchtrap. While the first two had great success, Witchtrap became a sort of forgotten "classic" if you will.
It's a pretty simple story. It's about Lauter House aka Slaughter House as the residents around town have dubbed it. It's an old mansion that was once owned by a warlock named Avery and was the home to a series of grizzly murders. In fact the murders happen a lot as the house is possessed by the ghost of the warlock, and anyone who enters, he kills. Avery was the famous Vineyard Slasher and a renowned Satanist.
We flash forward and his nephew has inherited the mansion. He plans on converting it to a bed and breakfast and estimated its worth to be around 5 million dollars. Problem is you cant really have a bed an breakfast with a ghost in the house so he hires a team of paranormal investigators to exorcise the house.
Of course nothing is easy so there are murders, possessions, and of course a nude scene from 80's scream queen Linnea Quigley. Lots of gore for the horror fans out there as well so its sure to please any fan of the 80's genre.
The film was overlooked heavily when it came out, but managed to gain a cult following over the years. Vinegar Syndrome was able to acquire the rights and they have released it for the first time on Blu-ray loaded with special features,
• Region free Blu-ray/DVD Combo pack
• Newly scanned and restored in 2k from 35mm Interpositive
• Completely uncut
• Group commentary track with: Director Kevin Tenney, Producer Dan Duncan, Cinematographer Tom Jewett and Actor Hal Havins
• Video interviews with: Director Kevin Tenney, Actress Linnea Quigley, Cinematographer Tom Jewett and SFX Supervisor Tassilo Baur
• Audio interviews with: SFX Makeup Artist Judy Yonemoto and Music Composer Dennis Michael Tenney
• Original video trailer
• “Book of Joe” a short film Directed by Kevin Tenney
• Alternate ending for “Book of Joe”
• Production/Promotional still gallery
• Original cover artwork by Corey Wolfe
• Reversible cover artwork
• English SDH Subtitles
The audio and video are remarkable as with all of Vinegar Syndrome's release's so it's a no brainer that it's a must add to your collection.
Overall 3 out of 5 Stars