Masks (máscaras) have been used dating back to the beginnings of lucha libre in the early part of the 20th century, and have a historical significance to Mexico in general, dating to the days of the Aztecs. Early masks were very simple with basic colors to distinguish the wrestler. In modern lucha libre, masks are colorfully designed to evoke the images of animals, gods, ancient heroes and other archetypes, whose identity the luchador takes on during a performance. Virtually all wrestlers in Mexico will start their careers wearing masks, but over the span of their careers, a large number of them will be unmasked. Sometimes, a wrestler slated for retirement will be unmasked in his final bout or at the beginning of a final tour, signifying loss of identity as that character. Sometimes, losing the mask signifies the end of a gimmick with the wrestler moving on to a new gimmick and mask. The mask is considered sacred to a degree, so much so that fully removing an opponent's mask during a match is grounds for disqualification.
During their careers, masked luchadores will often be seen in public wearing their masks and keeping up the culture of Lucha Libre, while other masked wrestlers will interact with the public and press normally. However, they will still go to great lengths to conceal their true identities; in effect, the mask is synonymous with the luchador. El Santo continued wearing his mask after retirement, revealed his face briefly only in old age, and was buried wearing his silver mask.
More recently, the masks luchadores wear have become iconic symbols of Mexican culture. Contemporary artists like Francisco Delgado and Xavier Garza incorporate wrestler masks in their paintings
Although masks are a feature of lucha libre, it is a misconception that every Mexican wrestler uses one. There have been several maskless wrestlers who have been successful, particularly Tarzán López, Gory Guerrero, Perro Aguayo and Negro Casas. Formerly masked wrestlers who lost their masks, such as Satánico, Cien Caras, Cibernético and others, have had continued success despite losing their masks.
Do you love Lucha Libre? Do you just love Lucha Masks? If you answered yes to at least one of these questions then Mask Maniac is the place for you.
High quality lucha masks at great prices, and if you order enough you get free shipping on orders over 50.00. Take a look at some of these
But don't just take my word for it. Head on over to www.maskmaniac.com and check out their entire selection. From Pro masks, to kids mask, and even capes, this is the place to go to. Check them out, you wont be disappointed!
Hail to the King as “Ash vs Evil Dead”: Season 2
Slices its Way to Blu-rayTM and DVD August 22 from Lionsgate
SANTA MONICA, CA (June 12, 2017) – Evil just can’t catch a break as the hilarious, critically acclaimed horror series “Ash vs Evil Dead”: Season 2 arrives on Blu-ray (plus Digital HD) and DVD August 22 from Lionsgate. Locked and loaded with the same twisted humor and gory kill scenes groovy fans of the franchise are used to, “Ash vs Evil Dead”: Season 2continues the chainsaw-slicing, shotgun-blasting fun from the first season. “Ash vs Evil Dead”: Season 2stars Bruce Campbell (The Evil Dead franchise), Lucy Lawless (TV’s “Spartacus: War of the Damned”), Ray Santiago (In Time), and Dana DeLorenzo (A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas), as well as this season’s introduction of Lee Majors (TV’s “The Six Million Dollar Man”) as Ash’s father.
This season roars back into action with Ash leaving his beloved Jacksonville and returning to his home town of Elk Grove. There, he confronts Ruby, only to find that she too is now a victim of evil and in need of Ash’s help. The former enemies have to form an uneasy alliance to give them a chance of success as Elk Grove soon becomes the nucleus of evil.
The home entertainment release of “Ash vs Evil Dead”: Season 2 includes audio commentaries, eight behind-the-scenes featurettes, and a “Fatality Mash-Up.” “Ash vs Evil Dead”: Season 2 will be available on Blu-ray and DVD for the suggested retail price of $43.99 and $34.98, respectively.
BLU-RAY / DVD SPECIAL FEATURES
· Audio Commentaries
· Season 2 First look
· “Inside the World of Ash vs Evil Dead” Featurette
· “Up Your Ash” Featurette
· “Women Who Kick Ash” Featurette
· “Puppets Are Cute” Featurette
· “Dawn of the Spawn” Featurette
· “Bringing Henrietta Back” Featurette
· “The Delta” Featurette
· “How to Kill a Deadite” Featurette
· Fatality Mash-Up
This is gonna sting a little.
From Wild Eye Releasing comes the ultimate buzz kill Tsunambee, premiering on VOD 6/13!
After a catastrophe strikes Los Angeles, survivors face an even greater threat, thousands of giant killer bees, ushering in the end of the world!
Writer/Director Milko Davis's ferociously fun ode to golden age creature makes its digital debut June 13!
From Variety some sad news to report
Adam West — an actor defined and also constrained by his role in the 1960s series “Batman” — died Friday night in Los Angeles. He was 88. A rep said that he died after a short battle with leukemia.“Our dad always saw himself as The Bright Knight, and aspired to make a positive impact on his fans’ lives. He was and always will be our hero,” his family said in a statement.
With its “Wham! Pow!” onscreen exclamations, flamboyant villains and cheeky tone, “Batman” became a surprise hit with its premiere on ABC in 1966, a virtual symbol of ’60s kitsch. Yet West’s portrayal of the superhero and his alter ego, Bruce Wayne, ultimately made it hard for him to get other roles, and while he continued to work throughout his career, options remained limited because of his association with the character.
NEW UK/US TITLE: The Ghoul (Blu-ray and DVD releases)
The Ghoul is the latest standout addition to a thriving new wave of British cinema.
Pre-order your copy on Blu-ray via Arrow: http://bit.ly/2t2jzdZ
Pre-order your copy on DVD via Arrow: http://bit.ly/2t2bGFu
Pre-order your copy on Blu-ray via Amazon: http://amzn.to/2t2cQAT
Pre-order your copy on DVD via Amazon: http://amzn.to/2t2cLx5
Pre-order on Blu-ray in the US: http://bit.ly/2s4Nghk
US DVD pre-order links should be live soon!
Release Dates: 4/5 September
From executive producer Ben Wheatley (Kill List, Free Fire) comes a mind-bending British psychological thriller to sit alongside such classics of the genre as Nicolas Roeg and Donald Cammell’s Performance, David Lynch’s Lost Highway and Christopher Nolan’s Following.
Chris is a homicide detective called to London to investigate a strange double murder. Both victims appear to have continued moving towards their assailant despite multiple gunshots to the face and chest. On a hunch, and with the help of an old colleague – and former girlfriend – Chris decides to go undercover as a patient to investigate the suspect’s psychotherapist, the mysterious Alexander Morland, who has a taste for the occult…
The debut feature of writer-director Gareth Tunley, starring Tom Meeten (Sightseers), Alice Lowe (Garth Marenghi’s Dark Place) and Dan Renton Skinner (Notes on Blindness), The Ghoul is the latest standout addition to a thriving new wave of British cinema.
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) / Standard Definiton DVD presentation
• Original 5.1 audio (uncompressed on the Blu-ray)
• Optional English subtitles for the hard-of-hearing
• Filmmakers’ commentary
• Interviews with the cast and crew
• The Baron, a 2013 short film by Gareth Tunley, starring Tom Meeten and Steve Oram (Aaaaaaaah!, Sightseers)
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring writing on the film by Adam Scovell, author of Folk Horror: Hours Dreadful and Things Strange
NEW UK/US TITLE: A Fish Called Wanda (Blu-ray)
A Fish Called Wanda has stood the test of time, earning its rightful place among its creators’ remarkable comedy pedigree.
Pre-order in the UK via Arrow: http://bit.ly/2t2LcDw
Pre-order in the UK via Amazon: http://amzn.to/2t2vj05
Pre-order in the US: http://bit.ly/2s53Xt3
Release Dates: 18/19 September
“The funniest movie I have seen in a long time” - Roger Ebert
In 1988, John Cleese, former Python and the mastermind behind Fawlty Towers, teamed up with the veteran Ealing Comedy director Charles Crichton (The Lavender Hill Mob) to produce another classic of British comedy.
Cleese plays Archie Leach, a weak-willed barrister who finds himself embroiled with a quartet of ill-matched jewel thieves – two American con artists played by Jamie Lee Curtis and Kevin Kline, Michael Palin’s animal-loving hitman and London gangster Tom Georgeson – when Georgeson is arrested. Only he and Palin know the whereabouts of the diamonds, prompting plenty of farce and in-fighting as well as some embarrassing nudity and the unfortunate demise of some innocent pooches…
Nominated for three Academy Awards and winning one for Kline’s outstanding supporting turn as the psychopathic Otto, A Fish Called Wanda has stood the test of time, earning its rightful place among its creators’ remarkable comedy pedigree.
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• Brand-new 4K restoration from the original negative, produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original English mono audio (uncompressed LPCM)
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Commentary by writer and star John Cleese
• Brand-new appreciation by Vic Pratt of the BFI National Archive
• Brand-new interviews with composer John Du Prez, production designer Roger Murray-Leach, executive producer Steve Abbott and makeup supervisor Paul Engelen
• John Cleese’s Final Farewell Performance, a 1988 documentary on the making of A Fish Called Wanda featuring interviews with actors Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Palin, Kevin Kline and director Charles Crichton
• Something Fishy, a 15th anniversary retrospective documentary featuring interviews with Cleese, Curtis, Kline and Palin, executive producer Steve Abbott and director of photography Alan Hume
• Fish You Were Here, a documentary on the film’s locations hosted by Robert Powell
• 24 deleted/alternative scenes with introductions by Cleese • A Message from John Cleese, a tongue-in-cheek introduction recorded for the film's original release
• Trivia track
• Theatrical trailer
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring writing on the film by Sophie Monks Kaufman
NEW US TITLE: Children of the Corn (Blu-ray)
Based on a short story by Stephen King, The Children of the Corn is a horror classic that has spawned multiple sequels and imitators, but none as harrowing as this masterpiece of horror.
Pre-order in the US: http://bit.ly/2s4VZAf
Release Date: 19 September
HE WHO WALKS BEHIND THE ROWS
A young couple travelling cross-country find themselves stranded in the small town of Gatlin, where they meet a mysterious religious cult of children. With no adults in sight the terror brews as the new arrivals find the secrets of the prospering corn fields and the children who inhabit them. Led by the mysterious Isaac and the unhinged Malachi the blood-curdling secrets of the children of Gatlin are soon revealed to their new ‘outlander’ guests.
Featuring stellar performances from Linda Hamilton (Terminator) and Peter Horton (thirtysomething) and based on a short story by Stephen King, The Children of the Corn is a horror classic that has spawned multiple sequels and imitators, but none as harrowing as this masterpiece of horror.
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
• Brand new 2K restoration from the original negative
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original Mono and 5.1 Audio Options
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Brand new audio commentary with John Sullivan of childrenofthecornmovie.com and horror journalist Justin Beahm
• Audio commentary with director Fritz Kiersch, producer Terrence Kirby and actors John Franklin and Courtney Gains
• Harvesting Horror: The Making of Children of the Corn – retrospective piece featuring interviews with director Fritz Kiersch and actors John Franklin and Courtney Gains
• It Was the Eighties! – an interview with actress Linda Hamilton
• Return to Gatlin – brand new featurette revisiting the film’s original Iowa shooting locations
• Stephen King on a Shoestring – an interview with producer Donald Borchers
• Welcome to Gatlin: The Sights and Sounds of Children of the Corn – an interview with production designer Craig Stearns and composer Jonathan Elias
• Feeling Blue – an interview with the actor who played “The Blue Man” in the fabled excised sequence
• Theatrical Trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin
FIRST PRESSING: Collectors booklet featuring new writing in the film.
Marvel has just released the first poster for their upcoming Black Panther film. This is ahead of the first teaser that will drop durring the NBA Finals
After the events of Captain America: Civil War, King T’Challa returns home to Wakanda but soon finds his sovereignty challenged by factions within his own country. When two enemies conspire to bring down the kingdom, T’Challa must team up, as the Black Panther, with C.I.A. agent Everett K. Ross and members of the Dora Milaje—Wakanda's special forces—to prevent a world war.
Black Panther opens Feb 16, 2018