“Thrill Me!” well that’s about the only way to start a review for the 1986 Cult Classic Night of the Creeps directed by Fred Dekker and starring Tom Atkins. It’s a very weird, yet cool blend of horror, comedy, and sci-fi. While not a theatrical hit by any means it blew up in popularity over the years with constant showings on HBO and of course through VHS rentals. It had a DVD release a while back, but now the great folks over at Scream Factory are giving it the full collector treatment is so deserves.
Night of the Creeps starts off in the 50’s on an alien spaceship. You see a couple of little weird looking aliens running with a canister when they are shot at by another alien. During the shootout the canister is hit and fly’s out of the ship and falls to earth. Two teenagers notice the falling object and go to check it out. Unfortunately it lands by an escaped psychopath who murders the girl while her boyfriend is looking for what fell to earth. He finds the canister, but an alien worm like creature pops out and goes into the kids mouth.
We cut to the present at a college campus where friends Chris and JC are pledging a frat. There asked to steal a body from the campus morgue and leave it on the steps of another house. They break in no problem but find a hidden room that contains a frozen corpse. They manage to awaken it and it proceeds to kill one of the workers in the building. Turns out it’s the kid from the 50’s who had the alien thing go in his mouth. It remembers picking up his date all those years ago so it walks on over to the sorority house where its head cracks open, releasing tons of little alien worms. The other problem is when your killed one of the little things goes into you, you come back to life as a zombie. This is very bad news as we learn from Det. Cameron (Atkins) the cop on the case of these mishaps reveals that back in the 50’s the escaped lunatic from the beginning killed his girlfriend during his escape and in a fit of rage he hunted him down and killed him finally burring him under what is now the sorority house where all the slugs have been released. This combined with a bus load of dead frat guys who have been infested leads to big trouble not to mention a fantastic 3rd and 4th act.
An absolute gem of a film that is a must watch for horror and science fiction fans alike. There is a reason this film has garnered so much love over the years, because its simply a good time. Scream Factory has done a remarkable job with the transfer. I have the DVD from years ago and it looked barley a step above a VHS tape. This transfer looks and sounds fantastic. It looks so fresh and colorful and the sounds come right out at you. The slip cover art work is very good, and if you were able to pre order the Deluxe edition you even got a Tom Atkins figure from NECA. Now aside of all of this awesomeness the set is loaded with special features.
DISC ONE: THEATRICAL VERSION
· Thrill Me!: The Making Of Night Of The Creeps – A Five-Part Documentary On The Making Of The Film Featuring Interviews With Writer/Director Fred Dekker, Actors Tom Atkins, Jason Lively, Steve Marshall, Jill Whitlow, Producer Charles Gordon, And More
· Tom Atkins: Man Of Action – A Look At The Actor's Career
· Deleted Scenes
· Theatrical Trailer
DISC TWO: DIRECTOR'S CUT
· NEW Horror's Hallowed Grounds – A Look At The Film's Locations Today With Host Sean Clark, Director Fred Dekker And Actor Jason Lively
· NEW Real Good Plan – An Interview With Actor Jason Lively
· NEW The Bradster – An Interview With Actor Alan Kayser
· NEW I Vote For That One – An Interview With Actor Ken Heron
· NEW Worst Coroner Ever – An Interview With Actor Vic Polizos
· NEW Answering The Door – An Interview With Actress Suzanne Snyder
· NEW Final Cut – An Interview With Editor Michael N. Knue
· Audio Commentary With Writer/Director Fred Dekker
· Audio Commentary With Actors Tom Atkins, Jason Lively, Steve Marshall And Jill Whitlow
An amazing film from top to bottom. If you have seen it your no doubt already a fan. If you have lived under a rock or are only about 10 years old you need to watch this. Head on out and add this one to your collection today
Overall 4out of 5 Stars!